Saturday, October 18, 2008

Buttons, lollipops or frisbees

These coiled buttons are easy to make but a bit tough on the machine.

Begin by cutting 3 fabric strips about 2" wide and 3" to 6" long. No science just a creative combination of color

This project does not have to be on the bias. It can be cut on the straight of grain. Sew the stripes together end to end. You should now have a long ribbon of fabric 2" wide and about 15" long.

I used 1/2" cotton cording. Use the soft kind since any other will add too much bulk to get under the foot of your sewing machine.

Roll the two outside edges to the inside center, then fold in half over the cording. Stitch along the edge.

Begin coiling the rope placing a pin here and there to keep it from springing apart.

Turn under the ending edge and wrap slightly to the underside.

Stitch an "X" onto the coil to hold it together. Be careful, use a large needle, and go slow. Your machine may whine about all the bulk under the foot. Go slow, talk kind and sew easily across.

Great as a decorative embellishment.

Although, I don't know what I'm going to do with mine yet.

10 comments:

3rdEyeMuse said...

what a little beauty!

Jana Nielson said...

Those would be darling on the front of a purse!!! (sorry...one track mind!)

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

They are fabulous! I might have to give that a go sometime soon. Thanks for sharing!

Marilyn said...

Oh, oh, oh...I LOVE these. I just might have to give 'em a try...thanks for the great tutorial!

jenclair said...

Love them! I'm sure you will discover endless ways to embellish with these!

3rdEyeMuse said...

ps - do you ALWAYS get what you want?

congratulations :)

Veleta (Sammy) said...

How about a pin cushion? I got a idea, think I wil go and play and then share it with you....

hugs,
sammy

One Crabapple said...

LOVE the button frisbees!

I am sending Girl Gone Thread Wild
And Miss Baumcat a link to this post !

They will love your tutorial too.

FANTASTIC , thank You.

Must try soon.

girlgonethreadwild said...

MMM... yummy!

Easy on the hips and WON'T spoil my dinner!

Love uuuuu!

Quilted Willow said...

Perfect for a one button cardigan!! Love it!