Saturday, January 19, 2008

Glassy-winged sharpshooter

Well this is it. This tiny little bug less than a half-inch-long is a serious threat to California's vineyards. It's the "Glassy-winged sharpshooter"! This bug found in Southern California in the 90"s has been making it's way up north. The problem is not the bug but the bacteria it carries to the plants, "pierce disease". To date there is no known cure and it's causing millions of dollars in damage each year. Needless to say, the Napa Valley is doing everything it can to keep this bug "OUT OF TOWN".
That's where I come in. No, I did not attend the University of California at Davis to major in entomology. I majored in DESIGN! And what does a design major do with their degree?
Make 6 foot tall glassy-winged sharpshooters of course!
Why?
Because they asked me to!

My friend Marie who helped with this costume is the model. Shhh... don't tell her I told you!
Our county's agriculture commissioner wears this around the county to teach and inform county residents about what to look for. He was very concerned about the proportions, color, and the glassy wings. I have to tell you though, if someone has a 6 foot bug in their backyard they have more problems than a vineyard disease!

No comments: