Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The seventh axiom

Who would have ever thought that after finding Huzita's six axioms Hatori could have found a seventh!


WOW!
This must be why I took geometry in school. I knew someday it would come in handy!

Pattern

Folds

Miracle
Origami just ain't what it used to be now that MIT is involved.

See this work of Robert Lang.

Through my search for more info I also came across Brian Chan.
Brian has been creating his own folds as well as folding for Robert Lang.

What does an MIT student do with a dead insect you ask?
Why, recreate it out of one sheet of paper of course!

Brian gives a great description on how to create this mask here. Just one sheet of paper and he says 15 minutes of your time. It took me 2o minutes. I forgot Hatori had found the seventh axiom. :(
Some of these photos I took at the San Francisco Museum of Craft and Folk Art. The show The Shape of Things: Paper Traditions and Transformations
is going on now until February 15, 2009

6 comments:

jenclair said...

These are unbelievable! And beautiful!

Unknown said...

This post with the pics was mesmerizing! Thank you :)

3rdEyeMuse said...

I love, love, love origami and have been in awe of Robert Lang for ages - amazing what a person can do with a single sheet of paper & a whole lot of patience! Thanks for sharing. :)

Melanie said...

thanks for sharing these wonderful and inspiring paper engineers!

Ulla said...

Wow oh wow! I've got to see if I can get to that exhibit! Truly Wonderous!!!!

so are we going to play this winter???

Unknown said...

What incredible origami. Such beautiful designs. Karen